I am going to write a couple of posts regarding what is considered the "Office Standard" at my office for the Linking of Revit files. Please feel free to add any comments or suggestions.....enjoy
Preparing the file to be linked…
1) FROM WITHIN REVIT, open the file to be linked. Check the "Detach from Central" box at the bottom.
Revit 2012 will look like image below: (not a feature in previous Revit versions – no window will appear)
You should select the first option - “Detach and preserve worksets”
(If you select “detach and discard”, the file will no longer be workshared .)
NOTE: If you get an error, for example:
You should select the second option, “Ignore and continue opening the project”, and keep going.
2) Save - Path your project directly to Job folder.
Note: Save the file with the same name it had when it was received, except add “_CUT” at the end of the filename. This will let you know that it is the cut-down, smaller file size, purged version without sheets, views etc., leaving the original version "as is" in case you need to refer to one of their sheets or details for some reason.
3) You may have to change the type property of the “Views” in the Project Browser to show “All” instead of “Discipline” if it is not already. (Right click on “views”, select type properties , change to “all”.) This will be an easier list of views to manage when you start deleting them.
(view by “Discipline”) (view by “All”-nice and clean!)
4) Open a new 3D view. Close all other views. (Stay in new opened 3D view and….continue)
5) In the Project Browser, delete all views - (Floor Plans, Ceiling Plans, 3d Views, Elevations, Sections, Drafting views, etc., basically everything but 3D entities should be deleted. (Remember, we will still have the original file on the FTP, or from our transfer, unchanged.)
6) Remove all sheets.
7) Go to "Manage Links" [in manage tab] - "Remove" everything - (CAD Formats, Revit, DWF Markups)
8) "Purge Unused" [in manage tab] - Purge everything! (Revit automatically selects everything - hit "ok".) Sometimes Purging more than once is required.
9) Save and close. You should notice a much smaller file size for this new project file.
That's it....for now.....
Stay tuned for Linking Models - Part 2